So much has been happening recently!
- Two hearings featuring Attorney General Gonzales before two different congressional committees
- Two hearings featuring James Comey, the former Deputy Attorney General to John Ashcroft who appointed Patrick Fitzgerald;
- Other investigations by the committees led by Waxman, Leahy, and Conyers, generating headlines virtually every day.
- Frontline has aired a report on the Bush Administration’s domestic spying activities
The most stunning of all was the testimony by Comey, a few days ago, on a subject that Sen. Schumer has apparently been trying to arrange for more than a year, in which Comey describes the night-time race to the hospital bedside of John Ashcroft, heavily sedated for surgery, to get there before then-Counsel to the President Gonzales and Andrew Card, who apparently were going to try to get Ashcroft to sign off on a secret intelligence plan that Comey thought was illegal. Steven Bochko could not have come up with a better script! Unfortunately, this was not on CSPAN, but it was televised online by the Senate Judiciary Committee, and you can see the most dramatic 20 minutes of the testimony at Politics TV! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxHjWYA50Ds] This video already has had almost 30,000 viewers!
You can get the complete 57 page pdf transcript of Comey’s testimony .
Or you can just listen to the audio (scroll down to #6 on the list).
Comey’s testimony has opened up a whole pandora’s box, because even though he said nothing about what the secret intelligence plan was, it was clear that it was (a) illegal, and (b) approved anyway by President Bush the next day, apparently with the enthusiastic approval of VP Cheney and Gonzales. For this act alone, the three of them should be impeached and removed from office!!!
To get more commentary on this, you can read the live blogging of the hearing by FireDogLake, with all the hundreds of comments on what was happening in real time.
Or you can read Marcy Wheeler’s excellent analysis of the illegal spying programs.
DailyKos is now on fire with impeachment talk.
But will it happen? I don’t think we can afford to content ourselves with being spectators. Here’s what we need to do:
- Share this information with your family and friends– not just here in Hawaii, but on the mainland. Encourage them to watch the Comey testimony at the Politics TV link above.
- Write letters to the editor
- Write your congress-persons, including senators. If you’ve written before, write again.
We need to do more. Write a comment with your ideas (click on the “>>” after the word “Comments” at the end of this post, and then scroll down to the window where you can enter your comments.)
For the sake of our country and our children, we need to get these crooks out of office before they pull even more crazy stunts. And you can bet they’re busy with their schemes.
These are the times that define the future.